Friday, May 14, 2010

My New Neighbors

Not too long ago, I noticed a pair of House Finches who were very active around my front porch.  I thought they were just trying to get nectar from the Hummingbird feeder I recently hung on the porch (house finches are known to like sugar water), until I noticed the nest.  When I first found it, it was just a flimsy looking cup, but over the days she reinforced it and it became a beautiful nest.
The nest is in the Boston Fern that is right outside the front door, so every day when I come home from work I walk right by the nest.  She doesn't usually stick around long when I am on the front porch, so I take a little peek each day. She laid five eggs.


Here is the first hatched nestling.  There are three eggs and one baby; something must have happened to the fifth egg.  

Now there are two babies and two eggs.  They are starting to grow.

Another egg went missing.  The two babies are growing fast, but there's still an unhatched egg in the nest.

Now, I guess it'll just be the two of them, since it appears that the third egg is gone.

Two hungry little babies are calling for food!  I love their "hair" sticking up all over the place.

Ah ha! I see the egg is still in the nest.  I doubt that it will hatch at this point, but I'll keep a look out.

No comments:

Post a Comment