Thursday, February 10, 2011

Snow Day

It's a snow day!  Yesterday the University closed early due to the snow and remained closed today, which was a very nice break in the work week.  Here's the view from my house yesterday afternoon.  We ended up with about 4 inches, pretty impressive for Memphis.

Today the sun is shining and everything is glistening and white.  Jonathan and I went for a walk around the neighborhood and I noticed that there were no snowmen.  After the last snowfall there were lots of snowmen in our neighborhood.  Just about every other house displayed signs of playing in the snow.  I guess this is a one-snow-a-year-kind-of-town.  
 
What to do on a snowy day home from work?  Bake!  Today's recipe is Sweet Potato Bread with Flaxseed and Honey from Cooking Light

Just so happens that I bought a couple of sweet potatoes last time I was at the grocery store to make home fries.  (I love sweet potato fries, mmmm-mmm.)  But I only got around to using one of the very large potatoes.  So here is the other one, ready to be made into bread.
 
Peel the sweet potato, cut it up, boil it until it's tender, and then mash it.  The recipe only called for 1 cup of mashed sweet potato, but I ended up with more like 1.5 cups, so that's what I used.

But before we get to the sweet potato part, you mix the dry ingredients together: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground flax seed.  You can grind the flax seed in a coffee grinder or food processor.  I have neither of those, but I do have a handy Magic Bullet that works great for all kinds of things.

In a separate bowl, combine your wet ingredients: cream cheese, butter, brown sugar, honey, eggs and mashed sweet potato. 

Then combine the two bowls together.  At this point, I decided the bread would need more seasoning so I added 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg. 





Mix it all up, just until moistened and spread it into a greased loaf pan.  Then bake it at 350 for 50 minutes. 




The finished loaf of bread is tender and tasty, but not all that sweet.  If you're looking for a sweeter, more traditional quickbread, you'd probably need to add a bunch more sugar and some oil too.  But don't forget, this is a Cooking Light recipe, and it's tasty and pretty good for you just as it is.




I enjoyed a slice with a bit of cream cheese spread on top.  Butter and honey would be good too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment