Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chocolate Truffle Cookies

I've never really been much of a cookie baker.  Cookies have always seemed more time consuming because you have to scoop each one out onto a cookie sheet and you can only bake a few sheets at a time.  Sometimes they spread out too much and are too thin.  Then there's always the problem with such a short baking time that my cookies are always either overdone and too crispy or not done enough.  So I don't make cookies very often, even though I really like to eat them.  Every once in a while, I get a hankering for cookies and quite often my hankering includes chocolate too.  Luckily, I found this recipe for Chocolate Truffle Cookies that soothes my inner cookie monster and turn out beautifully too.

The recipe calls for 4 squares of unsweetened chocolate.  I had a box of Baker's Chocolate in the fridge that I thought was unsweetened.  Turns out it was semisweet chocolate, so my cookies were a bit sweeter than they were intended.  Next time I'll have to try it with unsweetened chocolate.   


First melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl.  I did this in the microwave, but you could use a double boiler too. 


While the chocolate mixture is cooling, combine three eggs with the sugar in a large bowl and whip until the consistency thickens a bit and the color of the mixture gets a bit lighter.  My bowl was plenty big enough for the egg mixture, but had I thought ahead a bit I would have used an even bigger bowl and I would have only had to dirty two bowls instead of three.
 

Then mix the cooled chocolate mixture with the egg mixture.  In the bowl that is now empty (or in a third bowl) mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt and gradually add it to the chocolate mixture.

Fold in the remaining chocolate chips, and then put the dough into the refrigerator to chill for a few hours.

It makes a stiff, sticky dough.  The recipe says to roll the dough into balls, but I found it much to messy.  I just scooped it by the spoonful onto the cookie sheets (or Silpat mat).

Bake them for about 10 minutes.

Pour a glass of milk and enjoy the richest, most satisfyingly fudgy cookie ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment